The issue of personal information’s security becomes more actual day by day. To be on the edge of modern techs, Apple announces the long-awaited bug bounty program. It’ll cover five categories, every of them is interesting and well-paid in the end. Apple planned to launch the new program in September.
The security of personal information is important for everyone, both persons and companies. So, the ways of cyber protection become increasingly important that companies earn our trust by keeping it secure. Who wants to know that his or her payment details, health records, chat logs and archives of family photos could be stolen? Apple decided to help with this.
The corporation Apple is launching in September the program, which covers five categories:
- Vulnerabilities in secure boot firmware components: Up to $200,000
- Vulnerabilities that allow extraction of confidential material from Secure Enclave: Up to $100,000
- Executions of arbitrary or malicious code with kernel privileges: Up to $50,000
- Access to iCloud account data on Apple servers: Up to $50,000
- Access from a sandboxed process to user data outside the sandbox: Up to $25,000.
A bug bounty program is unlikely to tempt any hackers who are only interested in getting a massive payout. For those who care about making an impact, getting a check from Apple could make all the difference.
Of course, the researchers will need to provide a proof-of-concept on the latest iOS and hardware to become eligible. In a case of Apple’s approve the selected researcher institution, it will match their donation — so a $200,000 reward could turn into a $400,000 donation, not bad!