Venice Film Fest Classics will include movies of the iconic directors like Steven Spielberg, Elem Klimov, Michelangelo Antonioni. An official opening date is August 30, the closing ceremony will be held on September, 9.
The restored classics will be one of the features at Venice Films Festival this year. The guests will have an opportunity to enjoy a wide range of brilliant movies, among them is Red Desert by Michelangelo Antonioni, the film won Golden Lion in 1964 and opened to the world Italian actress Monica Vitti.
Another epic movie directed by Bernardo Bertolucci also will be shown to the guests of Venice fest – saga 1900 with young Robert De Niro and Gerard Depardieu was presented in 1976. In 2017, this great movie will make its big comeback, as will Steven Spielberg’s Close Encounters of the Third Kind, starring Francois Truffaut. The sci-fi film is 40 years old but it is as actual as never before, at least, three generations enjoy this thriller year to year.
Venice Film Fest Classics: full list
Venice Film Fest’s jury will be chaired by the Italian director Giuseppe Piccioni. Since 2012, the organisers of an annual cinema event offer to enjoy the restored classics, the last century was extremely rich for the gifted directors and actors.
Venice Classics became a popular sidebar of the international festival for five years in a row, presenting world premieres of the best recent film restorations. Its jury, in addition to the chairman, is composed of 26 Italian students of cinema history. The complete list of Venice Classics documentaries will be announced with the full Venice lineup on July 27.
2017 Venice Classics masterpieces
- Come and See, Elem Klimov
- Wanderers of the Desert, Nacer Khemir
- Batch ’81, Mike De Leon
- Black Peter, Milos Forman
- A Story From Chikamatsu, Kenji Mizoguchi
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Steven Spielberg
- Dainah la metises, Jean Grémillon
- Zéro de conduite – rushes, Jean Vigo
- Red Desert, Michelangelo Antonioni
- Two or Three Things I Know About Her, Jean-Luc Godard
- The Ape Woman, Marco Ferreri
- Into the Night, John Landis
- Under the Olive Tree, Giuseppe De Santis
- 1900, Bernardo Bertolucci
- Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice, Yasujiro Ozu
- The Third Lover, Claude Chabrol
- The Old Dark House, James Whale
- The Revolt of Mamie Stover, Raoul Walsh
- Sansho the Bailiff, Kenji Mizoguchi