The health authorities of Melbourne, the second-largest Australian city, have announced an exit a COVID-19 hard lockdown this week.
On Thursday night, Victoria’s acting prime minister James Merlino told reporters in Melbourne Wednesday confirmed, the state will ease the lockdown substantially. Despite that, some restrictions on travel and gatherings would likely remain for another week.
«This is a good day,» Merlino said and added after two weeks in a strict lockdown, city’s five million residents will get more freedom to step outside from 11:59 pm local time on Thursday.
While the epidemiological situation in the state is improving, people must stay within 25 km of their homes, officials said. Victoria’s health authorities urged Australians to do their best to stop transmission during an upcoming long weekend. Certainly, there will also be a total ban on house gatherings and masks will be mandatory indoors.
Acting PM Merlino said the further easing of restrictions for Melbourne could happen within a week barring any spike in cases.
Australia fights against the covid-19 successfully
Over a year, the country has effectively reined in COVID-19, recording just over 30,200 cases and 910 deaths, due to speedy tracing systems, snap lockdowns and strict social distance.
Since March 2020, Victoria has endured four lockdowns, the longest one more than 100 days late in last year, and the state has seen more than 800 deaths, 90% of the national toll.
On June 8, Victoria reported just one new locally acquired COVID-19 case, the lowest rise in 15 days.