Today: Saturday, 2 March 2024 year

Baku denied Yerevan’s information about the shelling of EU monitors on the border.

Baku denied Yerevan’s information about the shelling of EU monitors on the border.

The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry denied the information of the Armenian side that the Azerbaijani military opened fire in the direction of the EU observers and their car on the border of the two countries.

“The information disseminated on the Armenian information resources that on August 15 at about 12:20 in the area of ​​the Upper Shorja settlement of the Basarkechar region (Gegharkunik region of Armenia) units of the Azerbaijani army allegedly opened fire in the direction of the EU observers and their car, is not true. This is yet another misinformation by the Armenian side. We inform you that the time of the departure of the EU monitors in the direction of the conditional border in Armenia, the route of their movement, coordinates in this area, as well as brands and numbers of cars are provided to the Azerbaijani side in advance,” the press service of the Ministry of Defense said.

According to the ministry, the units of the Azerbaijani army are aware of these trips of the mission. “For this reason, the emergence of such a situation, which the Armenian Defense Ministry reports, is theoretically and practically impossible,” the report says.


Earlier on Tuesday, the Armenian Defense Ministry said Azerbaijani soldiers had fired on EU monitors patrolling the region and their car.


On February 20, the EU launched a civilian mission on the Armenian side of the Armenian-Azerbaijani border. The total number of all-civilian mission personnel is about 100, including about 50 unarmed observers.