Today: Wednesday, 1 February 2023 year

Elizabeth II accepts Liz Truss as new prime minister

Elizabeth II accepts Liz Truss as new prime minister

The queen formally asked her to form a government. Truss won the presidential election with 57.4% of the Conservative vote in the last round.

⠀⠀

British Foreign Secretary Liz Truss has become the new British Prime Minister after Queen Elizabeth II asked her to form a government. Truss arrived at the Queen’s audience at Balmoral Castle in Scotland.
Earlier, the Queen “graciously accepted” the resignation of Prime Minister Boris Johnson, the BBC reported, citing a statement from Buckingham Palace. He has already left the prime minister’s residence.


Members of the Conservative Party elected British Foreign Minister Liz Truss as prime minister the day before. 57.4% of party members voted for her, while former Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak was supported by 42.6%.

 


Truss adheres to a line close to that pursued by Johnson as prime minister: she announced her intention to continue supporting Ukraine, not softening her policy towards Russia and China, and supporting the British population in the face of a sharp rise in energy prices. She also confirmed that the Conservatives, as before, will not support the intention of the Scottish nationalists to hold a new independence referendum.