Ten years after Arab Spring and overthrowing Muammar Gaddafi, his son announced running for presidency in Libya. However, Libya’s top electoral body on Wednesday disqualified Seif al-Islam Gaddafi from taking part in the presidential elections to be held next month.
Libya’s High National Elections Committee excluded Gaddafi’s son from list of the candidates for presidency. He can appeal the decision in court in the coming days.
In 2015, Seif al-Islam had been sentenced to death by a Tripoli court for using violence against protesters in a 2011 uprising against then-president Muammar Gaddafi. That verdict has since been called into question by Libya’s rival authorities. Gaddafi’s son is also wanted by the International Criminal Court on charges of crimes against humanity related to the uprising.
Libya waits for presidential elections in December
The North African nation is set to hold the first round of presidential elections on December 24, after years of UN-led attempts to usher in a more democratic future and end the country’s civil war.
Meantime, the UN’s top envoy for Libya submitted his resignation last week, though he said Wednesday he is prepared to stay on through the vote if needed. Kubis added that he was ready to continue as special envoy through the election, though he said the UN had accepted his resignation with a December 10 effective date.
Libyan Ambassador Taher el-Sonni said his country appreciates “all international initiatives with genuine intentions,” but he said the council’s members require “to heed us, too” and let Libyans lead their own way out of crisis.
“You have a moral responsibility towards the developments in my country over the past 10 years,” he told the group. “Don’t belittle us.”