Today: Monday, 22 April 2024 year

India and China have agreed to reduce the number of troops along the border in Ladakh.

India and China have agreed to reduce the number of troops along the border in Ladakh.

India and China, during the 20th round of talks, agreed not to carry out any provocative actions in winter and reduce the number of troops on both sides to a minimum.

“Due to the harsh winter climate, the number of troops stationed in the region is reduced by both countries with a minimum number of troops at the front. While some troops are withdrawn back into the depths, others leave completely. In the summer, troops return to the combat areas,” the source said.

Currently, India and China have about 50 thousand troops and equipment on each side. During the winter, the number of deployed troops drops sharply.

“The plan is to reach an agreement in the next round of talks not to bring back additional troops in the summer,” the source said.


As previously reported by Indian media, the Indian Air Force transported more than 68 thousand additional troops, as well as almost 90 tanks and more than 300 infantry fighting vehicles to the heights of Ladakh after the clash in the Galwan Valley on June 15, 2020. Since then, despite withdrawing from Galwan Valley, Pangong Tso, Gogra and Hot Springs, both armies continue to retain thousands of troops and equipment along the Line of Actual Control.


Another round of talks will be held this winter to discuss plans for a summer deployment, the sources said.