The Philippine capital Manila tightens covid-19 restrictions in efforts to tackle a new surge of infections. All people under 18 should stay indoors, the authorities said.
The Metro Manila Development Authority issued a statement, which announced the new rules due to covid. The document cites an agreement among the Philippines’ mayors.
The country late last year started easing one of the world’s longest and strictest lockdowns, though a rule that anyone under 15 must stay indoors in Manila remained in place.
Last month, the Philippines reported a surge in covid-19 cases, recording the largest daily increase since mid-August on Monday with 5,404 new infections.
Night-time curfews have been re-imposed since Monday for two weeks in Metropolitan Manila, the country’s covid hotspot that is home to more than 12 million people.
The extended age limit comes five months after the authorities allowed people from 15 to 65 years of age to go out as part of efforts to revive an economy that suffered the worst slump on record last year.
Philippines: vaccination continues
Facing criticisms about a slow-moving vaccination drive, coronavirus strategy chief Carlito Galvez said more doses should arrive soon.
By early April, nearly 2.4 million doses are expected to arrive in the Philippines. In addition, 979,200 doses of AstraZeneca’s drug through the Covax facility and 1.4 million Sinovac jabs including 400,000 donated by China.
The government has also signed an agreement with the Serum Institute of India for 30 million Novavax vaccine doses, due to arrive in the third or fourth quarter of the year, Mr Galvez added.