The signing of the power-sharing accord becomes the milestone for Sudanese politics. The document between the military council and civil protesters appears to confirm an agreement made in principle earlier this month, BBC reported.
The second agreement on constitutional issues is expected to be finalised on Friday, while the first document laid out a plan rotate control of the sovereign council – the top tier of power – for just over three years.
The agreement reads that the establishment of a new transitional civilian-military ruling body will be established. It will comprise six civilians ( from the pro-democracy coalition, the Alliance for Freedom and Change) and five military representatives.
According to the sharing-power accord, the Sudanese military would be in charge for the first 21 months, then a civilian-run administration would take over the following 18 months, followed by the elections.
The agreement between military rulers and civilians comes after lengthy and difficult negotiations between generals who seized power after ousting of Omar al-Bashir in April and then leaders of the pro-democracy campaign whose demonstrations led to the veteran dictator’s fall.
Under current circumstances, the first official agreement offers a chance to end months of Sudanese political crisis and repeated bouts of violent repression.
The “Political Declaration” as a historic moment for Sudan
The two sides initialled a document called the “Political Declaration” after intense talks through the night over fine details of the accord. Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, deputy chief of the military council hailed the agreement as a “historic moment” for Sudan.
“I am pleased this morning to give good tidings to the great Sudanese people of the signing with initials of the political agreement,” said Mr Dagalo on Wednesday.
His opponent, Ibrahim al-Amin, a key opposition leader, reminds that discussion of the new Sudanese constitution would resume on Friday.
The outlines of the deal were agreed almost two weeks ago but the military repeatedly missed deadlines to sign.
One point of contention during the ongoing negotiations was a demand from civilians that military leaders remain accountable for human rights abuses committed in recent months.
Mr Dagalo is known as the leader of the Rapid Support Forces, accused of committing the worst abuses in recent months.
Opposition activists with knowledge of the talks told journalists that the signed agreement includes provision for an independent and impartial investigation into the attack on the sit-in.
For many protesters, the power-sharing agreement was an absolute obligation, a duty owed to the martyrs and their families.
The crisis has exacerbated a deteriorating economic situation, a consequence of 30 years of incompetent, corrupt and repressive rule by Bashir.