Today: Tuesday, 16 August 2022 year

Switzerland faces rapid losing its snow, say the environmentalists

Switzerland faces rapid losing its snow, say the environmentalists

Swiss scientists have published a new study, which shed a light on the current snow problem in the country, TheLocal reported. Partially, Switzerland loses its snow cover because of climate change.

The satellite images show how much snow cover Switzerland has lost in the last 20 years. After the problematic winter of 2017–18 when Alpes mountain areas saw record snowfall and the rapid lost its snow cover, scientists digged deeper and found out that the global warming is probably the cause.

Traditionally, just 36 percent of Swiss territory had a very low likelihood (less than 20 percent) of seeing snow in the two decades from 1995 to 2005, however, that indicator jumped to 44 percent from 2005 to 2017. According to satellite images carried out by researchers at the University of Geneva and at the United Nations GRID-Geneva environmental data centre, the reduction in snow cover could be seen in the Jura region and in the Alps and was “particularly evident” in the Rhone Valley.

The climate change surprisingly has touched even Switzerland but the local snow ski resort are always ready to create an artificial snow cover for many ski lovers and Olympic athletes who used to train in the legendary Swiss Alpes.

Detailed information about snow cover is essential for policy planning on environmental issues, said the University of Geneva in its media statement.

“Beyond the economic issues related to tourism, other questions arise such as flood risk management or water supply, given the storage role that snow plays, retaining water in winter to release it in spring and summer,”

the University of Geneva and at the United Nations GRID-Geneva release stated.