Today: Saturday, 3 December 2022 year

The Hague court announced the refusal to issue verdicts in the MH17 case in September

The Hague court announced the refusal to issue verdicts in the MH17 case in September

The Hague court refused to issue verdicts for those responsible for the crash in the Donbass of passenger Boeing flight MH17 in September, 2022.

The court explained that “there is still a lot of work to be done” in this case and it is too early to issue any verdicts. September 22, as previously agreed, is no longer considered the date of the next meeting. As presiding judge Hendrik Steenhuis said, possible decisions will only be announced on November 17 or December 15, 2022.


In December last year, the prosecutor’s office in the Netherlands demanded a long-term prison sentence for the defendants in the case of the crash of the Malaysian Boeing flight MH17 in the Donbass. Prosecutor Thijs Berger said at the time that the charges carried a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, as they were among the most serious in the country.


In addition, the prosecutor’s office called the Buk anti-aircraft missile system (SAM) “Buk” hitting the plane as the most likely version of the crash. The prosecution insists that the SAM was located on the territory occupied by the militia forces of the self-proclaimed DPR and LPR.


The crash of a Malaysia Airlines passenger plane flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur occurred on July 17, 2014. Boeing flew in the sky over Donbass. After it became known about what happened, several versions of events appeared. Later, the investigation concluded that the airliner was shot down from the Buk air defense system.