Death of Osman Kose, a Turkish diplomat killed in Kurdistan, made Turkey respond. Turkish forces have launched the air attack on Iraqi Kurdistan, the country’s defence minister confirmed on Thursday.
There was no claim of responsibility for the shooting of the Turkish vice-consul to Iraq’s autonomous Kurdish region. The observers suggest behind the attack was the Turkish separatist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK). According to Ankara, PKK is a terrorist group.
The tragic incident took place on Wednesday in the Kurdistan’s capital Irbil. The local authorities said two other people were also killed.
“Following the evil attack in Irbil, we have launched the most comprehensive air operation on Qandil and dealt a heavy blow to the (PKK) terror organization,” Turkish defence minister said in a statement.
An airstrike by Turkish forces has destroyed the targets such as “armaments positions, lodgings, shelters and caves belonging to terrorists” on Thursday.
A spokesman for the PKK’s armed wing denied involving in Turkish diplomat’s shooting. Meanwhile, the body was transported to Ankara where the funeral ceremony held Thursday afternoon. The funeral prayer was held in Ahmet Hamdi Akseki mosque, the local press reported.
Turkey immediately responded to the shooting of diplomat
Turkey’s defence department vowed the fight against terror will continue with increasing determination until the last terrorist is neutralized.
Since May, Turkey has been conducting a ground offensive and bombing campaign in the mountainous northern region to root out the PKK which has waged an insurgency against the Turkish state since 1984.
Earlier this month, the PKK announced that one of those raids killed senior PKK leader Diyar Gharib Mohammed along with two other fighters.