Argentina’s leader announced his plans to ask the International Criminal Court to investigate Venezuela’s Cabinet for crimes against humanity, as other South American states step up efforts to isolate Venezuela, ArgentinaReports said on Tuesday.
Argentina has teamed up with Chile, Paraguay and Colombia on their joint request to International Criminal Court regarding Venezuela. During Sunday’s interview to CNN, President Mauricio Macri said his country could file something before the court in the coming weeks. In particular, the Argentinian leader said:
“There is no doubt that human rights have been violated. There is more consensus each day that we need to take stronger action,”
and added that his Venezuelan counterpart Maduro “has not changed.”
“I am not optimistic about what will happen in Venezuela in the short term,”
Macri concluded in his interview.
Argentina’s president reminds that chances were low that an attack carried out near Nicolas Maduro as he spoke at an August 4 military parade was an attempt on the leader’s life.
Venezuela’s president cracked down on opposition members last week after blaming political opponents and neighbouring Colombia for explosions at a Caracas military parade. Maduro called the incident an attempt to kill him and usher in a change in Venezuela, the world’s largest holder of oil reserves. Meanwhile, the Venezuelan economy is falling down, and President Maduro has to announce a 95 percent devaluation of the bolivar. More than a million people have fled Venezuela in the past year as food shortages worsen, with inflation set to hit 1 million percent and the economy sinking deeper month by month.