The World Health Organization (WHO) chief should resign, at least 1 million signatories of a petition believe. A petition demanding the stepping down of Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus was launched on Tuesday.
The campaign has broken one million signatures mark since January 31 when the anti-Tedros campaign began, Breitbart News reported. The petition was titled “Call for the resignation of Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, W.H.O. Director-General” and appeared on Change.org, citing Tedros’ refusal on January 23 to designate the Wuhan novel virus a global health emergency.
“We strongly think Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus is not fit for his role as WHO director general. We call for the immediate resignation of Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus,” the petition reads.
Symbolically, on April 20, the number of supporters stood at 985, 850 and the number of its supporters is rising amid Donald Trump’s recent dose of criticism. In fact, the scale of coronavirus raises too many questions regarding the WHO’s efficiency.
Donald Trump continues to criticize the WHO
Last week, the US President Trump ordered a hold on funds sent to the WHO, one of the UN bodies. Commenting on such an unexpected move, Donald Trump demanded WHO to answer for its failures to properly warn the world about the deadly pathogen.
Mr Trump also criticized the WHO for attacking his travel ban on China during the early days of the pandemic. Now, that fact looks even more seriously, so, no need to be surprised that anti-Thedros petition is gaining popularity.
“The W.H.O.’s attack on travel restrictions put political correctness above life-saving measures,” Trump said and added that the United States spends $500 million a year, while China only spent $30-$40 million.
According to Trump, WHO played a role in “mismanaging and covering up” the spread of the coronavirus around the world. “The W.H.O. pushed China’s misinformation about the virus, saying it was not communicable and there was no need for travel bans,” Trump said.