Guinea’s military officials will not let deposed President Alpha Conde seek exile, according to the statement released after the West African regional bloc (ECOWAS) met Colonel Mamady Doumbouya in Conakry.
Even the regional mediators who attempted to mount pressure to secure ex-President release following a coup earlier this month, couldn’t change the situation.
“We will not yield to any pressure,” military leaders said following the conclusion of the talks. “Conde is and will remain in Guinea,” they insisted on Friday.
The chairman of ECOWAS, Ghana’s President Nana Akufo-Addo, and the president of Ivory Coast, Alassane Ouattara, met Doumbouya, the coup leader and head of a special forces unit in the military. They also visited Conde who has been detained since being toppled on September 5 after more than 10 years in power.
After the negotiations, the bloc agreed on targeted sanctions on Thursday after Guinea’s military leaders failed to meet its demands, Al Jazeera said. ECOWAS has called for Conde’s immediate release and for a swift transition of power, with elections held within six months.
Soldiers behind the coup claim to have overthrown Conde because of concerns about poverty and corruption, and because he was serving a third term only after altering the constitution to permit it.
The adopted sanctions include the freezing of the financial assets and the imposition of travel bans on Guinea’s military leaders and their relatives.
West and Central Africa has seen four coups since last year. The political upheaval has intensified concerns about a backslide towards military rule in a resource-rich but poverty-stricken region.