North and South Korea are keeping their promises and continue the detente policy, BBC reported. Both countries have begun removing landmines along the border as a part of a summit deal to ease military tensions.
North and South Korea officials have signed the mutual agreement at a meeting in North Korea’s capital Pyongyang last month. That summit was the third this year between President Moon Jae-in and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, following a rapid thaw in relations between countries. It is time for the detente policy, believe both states.
All landmines in the JSA (the small village, which became famous due to first meeting of Koreas’ leaders this year), which is the only portion of the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ) where forces stand face-to-face, are expected to be removed by military personnel within the next 20 days, South Korea’s defence ministry said in a statement on Monday.
According to South Korea’s defence minister, when the demining task along the border is completed, guard posts and weapons will also be removed, leaving unarmed troops stationed in the area as part of measures to manage tensions along the border.
In April, South Korea said it had stopped broadcasting propaganda via loudspeakers along the border to “ease the military tension between the two Koreas”. It has now started taking down the loudspeakers.
Earlier this month, the leaders of the two countries met in Pyongyang for talks that centred on the stalled denuclearisation negotiations.
The demining initiative came after a historic meeting between Mr Kim and US President Donald Trump in Singapore in June in which the pair agreed in broad terms to work towards a nuclear-free Korean peninsula.