Today: Saturday, 23 October 2021 year

Prince Andrew given a week to challenge High Court decision in sex assault case

Prince Andrew given a week to challenge High Court decision in sex assault case

The Duke of York’s legal team must tell the High Court this week if they wish to challenge the decision to formally notify Prince Andrew of the case against him. Queen’s son is in a very intriguing position after his ties with the late Mr Epstein were revealed.

Virginia Roberts Giuffre, the woman who claims Prince Andrew abused her when she was 17, had adequately served legal papers to the royal. Under the law, civil cases can only begin when the claimant has notified the defendant that legal proceedings have begun against them, The Independent has learned.

Ms Giuffre’s lawyers have said they have served the relevant documents notifying the Duke of York of the case against him in multiple ways, including through the post and by handing them to a police officer guarding his Windsor home.

Last Wednesday, the High Court agreed it would itself serve the papers on the Duke of York, but it is understood Prince Andrew’s legal team will contest this decision.

The High Court said in a statement, “Lawyers for Prince Andrew have indicated that they may seek to challenge the decision of the High Court to recognise the validity of the Hague Convention request for service made by Ms Giuffre’s lawyers.”

Thus, the High Court has directed that any challenge must be made by the close of business on September 24.

The US lawyer protects the British royal

Pre-trial hearing in the US Giuffre had previously entered into a “settlement agreement”, said Prince Andrew’s US lawyer.  That would nullify her case, and on Thursday Manhattan Judge Loretta Preska said the prince could request the unsealing of this 2009 document.

In fact, Ms Giuffre initially filed her lawsuit against Queen’s second son in August, which accuses him of sexually assaulting her at the London home of Epstein’s British socialite girlfriend Ghislaine Maxwell.