Today: Wednesday, 16 October 2019 year

Putin says no evidence to blame Iran for attacks on Saudi Aramco

Putin says no evidence to blame Iran for attacks on Saudi Aramco

Vladimir Putin said after meeting with his Iranian counterpart that there no evidence of Tehran’s involvement in the attacks on Saudi oil facilities last month, Sputnik reported.

While the US together with Saudi Arabia and several European countries accused Iran of being behind the attacks on Saudi Aramco on September 14, there is no evidence that Iran is responsible for the incident, the Russian president said on Wednesday.

The talks between Russian and Iranian leaders took place in Yerevan, Armenia. According to Mr Putin, Hassan Rouhani insists that his country has no links to the drone attacks on Aramco facilities. On 14 September, Saudi Aramco had to cut in oil production totalling 5.7 million barrels per day — about half of kingdom’s daily oil output.

Being defended Hassan Rouhani, Putin said Iran wasn’t even able to realise its opportunities because of the US sanctions. Those economic measures are really harmful to the global economy and energy industry, the Russian leader added.

Last week, the Saudi Defence Ministry held a press conference to present what it described as evidence of Iran’s involvement in the attacks. Tehran has denied all accusation, pointing out that the Yemeni Houthi rebels have claimed responsibility for the drone attack.