Meghan Markle will receive just £1 in damages from The Mail on Sunday after the High Court has finished the hearings about invasion into private life of the Duchess of Sussex.
Following her win in the long-running copyright case against the publication, Ms Markle will get £1 from Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), which owns The Mail on Sunday and Mail Online.
Meghan won her case earlier this year when a High Court judge ruled in her favour without a full trial. The payout revelation follows an apology made by the publication on its front page on Boxing Day.
Ms Markle sued newspaper in August 2018, she insisted that five of their articles reproduced parts of a “personal and private” letter she had written to her father, Thomas Markle.
At the time, Meghan said she had been the face of “deception, intimidation, and calculated attacks” and criticised a “tabloid industry that conditions people to be cruel, and profits from the lies and pain that they create”.
Mail on Sunday paid the damage to Ms Markle
The bottom of the Mail on Sunday read: “The Duchess of Sussex wins her legal case for copyright infringement against Associated Newspapers for articles published in The Mail on Sunday and posted on Mail Online – SEE PAGE 3”
On above-mentioned page, under the heading “The Duchess of Sussex”, MoS added: “Following a hearing on 19-20 January, 2021, and a further hearing on 5 May, 2021, the Court has given judgment for the Duchess of Sussex on her claim for copyright infringement.
The outlet added that the Court found that ANL infringed her copyright by publishing extracts of her handwritten letter to her father in The Mail on Sunday and on Mail Online.
ANL said as well that financial remedies have been agreed. That means Meghan Markle will get £1 from The Mail on Sunday.